Thursday, January 31, 2013

17 films in Jan 2013

17. Django Unchained (8/10)
I was expecting serious movie, but I was surprised that it was a light hearted film with exceptionally great performances. Christoph Waltz definitely deserves an oscar for the film. He was just simply superb.

16. Zero Dark Thirty (7.5/10)
Everyone had been saying such great things about this film and my expectations were soaring high. This film was definitely very very good but I think Hurt Locker was better. Or maybe it was just my expectations after reading almost 100% positive and extra-ordinary reviews about this one.

15. Seven Psychopaths (6.5/10)
I think this film had a brilliant screenplay. You just did not know what to expect. Agreed. the film might not get along very well in a few places here and there but then you've got to give it to the film makers to having come up with something so different. Acting by all principal characters is fantastic.

14. Shadow Dancer (Ireland) (4/10)
I really wanted to like this film but the plot was a little too complicated for me. Top that with Irish english and it did not make things easy. I reckon that the movie would have been a nice book to read but when there is a movie where you have to struggle to figure out every single thing thats going on, doesn't make for an interesting watch.

13. Khiladi 786 (Hindi) (3/10)
I could barely sit through this movie. It seemed like Akshay Kumar had severe cold when he dubbed for this film. And please , when are we going to see Asin and Sonakshi (not in the film) do anything substantial for a change. Although I must say that songs of this film are pretty hummable. I am not a fan of HR but this film has some good music.

12. Savages (5/10)
It was an interesting film to watch. High on octane and you trying to figure out what might happen next. The clime was a big let down though. Lavishly done and an interesting plot line

11. Hitchcock (7.5/10)
This was a very interesting film. Based on the time when Hitchcock made 'Psyco', i got to know so many thing which I had no clue about hitchcock. I would definitely recommend watching this one, both for story and excellent lead performances.

10. The Impossible (6.5/10)
A family drama based on a true story about a family in Thailand during tsunami. Again excellent visuals and acting. When you know that this is based on real life story, you really feel emotional. The 3 kids have done a fantastic job, although I am not sure why Naomi Watts should get nominated.

9. Argo (8.5/10)
Definitely a great story, execution and direction. The film was thrilling, nail biting and would keep you on your toes. This is exactly the genre I like, and I am really looking forward to seeing more of this. Ben Affleck has not disappointed once again.

8. Silver Linings Playbook (7/10)
Watch this film fora brilliant storyline and exceptionally great acting by pretty much everybody involved. The film never moves away from its plot but definitely keeps it focussed and  interesting at the same time.

7. The Sessions (6.5/10)
Such a drastically different movie about a man with iron lung who wants to loose his virginity. The film shows the story of 3 women who come in his life. John Hawkes performance is incredible.

6. Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana (Hindi) (5.5/10)
A good situation comedy film. Titu mama was the jaan of the film and he does his part extremely well. I liked the pure punjabi flavour and reminds me of my days in north. WOuld def recommend a clean drama free enjoyable hindi film.

5. The Paperboy (6.5/10)
This film was a huge surprise for me. Having known nothing about the film, I was pleasantly surprised but not just the story but he narration style as well. Zac Efron, Nicole Kidman, John Cusack and Matthew McConaughey were all so damn good. I would strongly recommend this one.
4. Delhi Safari (Hindi) (2/10)

3. Talk To Her (Spain) [Hable con ella] (7.5/10)
Almodovar's 2002 spanish movie about two men sharing an odd friendship while they care for their girlfriends who are both in deep comas. Like all of his other movies, this movie is also full of surprises and a unique narration style where a lot is left on viewers imagination on how to interpret the film. The film has very impressive performances.

2. Tuesday, After Christmas (Romania) (6.5/10)
The film was nothing new but the performances were so raw and real. If you've seen last years foreign film winner 'A Separation' and liked the performances, this movie has performances of similar capacity.

1. Animal Kingdom (7/10)
An interesting Australian thriller. Save for the hard Australian accent which takes sometime to get hold of things, this film is disturbing in parts. Oscar nominee Jackie Weaver also features in this film.

2 comments:

Machu Picchu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Machu Picchu said...

I loved Seven Psychopaths and it was for exactly the same reason -- the screenplay! I was so impressed by the writing in that movie, which has so much more depth and layers than probably most people who watched it realized.

Also totally agree about John Hawkes. I'm totally baffled by Helen Hunt getting a nomination and not him.