Saturday, July 29, 2006

MM Kreem - A diamond we still need to relish

M M Kreem : I clearly remember the first time I actually heard about this name was when music of 'Zakhm' was released. Well, I had definitely heard the name but nothing special about this composer had stuck me. But with this film things changed. The oh so melodious "Hum yahan tum yahan",the naughty "Raat Saari bekarari mein guzari", the very sensitive "maa ne kaha".. they were all musical gems among all the beautiful songs of this film. I remember those were my engineering days and my room mates were music fans like me (may be not as crazy as me) but all of us used to love Zakhm songs. And this was when I had to find out more about the composer.

How many of us remember songs from the film RGV's 'Drohi'. Out of the 2 songs I remember, I cannot forget 'Dhadkati Mere Dil Ko Aayi Tu'. Like most of us even I used to think that it was a RD Burman composition as were the other songs of the film but it turned out that this one was Kreem's. I remember as teenage i actually used to dance on this song (yeah.. believe it or not). Kreem's so called break actually came with "Tum Mile Dil Khile" from the film 'Criminal'. This song was lapped up by everyone but did not get as popular since the film bombed. Frankly saying, I used to like the song but never thought of it as anything out of the way special or something. And I guess thats the reason the name MM Kreem never stuck me even then.

'Chup Tum Raho' from 'Is Raat Ki Subah Nahin' was one song which was neglected by everyone including by the promotores of the film. Showing his singing skills, Kreem proved that given a chance e could do something amazing with the music. 'Mere tere Naame Naye Hain' is a beautiful song. You might take some time to like the song but believe me once you give this one a patient hearing, you get hooked to it. 'Pehli Nazar Mein' was a non-film album released by T-Series. Its tile song by Kreem himself alongwith Anuradha Paudwal is still one of may favourites. Beautifully sung, the song would have a different history if it was a part of some movie.

Pooja Bhatt gave another chance to MM Kreem after Zakhm with Sur. The film was musical brilliance. 'Aa Bhi Jaa' gives you goose pimples when u hear it even today. 'Kabhi Sham Dhale' sung by Mahalaxmi according to me was the best composition of the film and was so appropriate with the film. With 'Jism', he was on an all time high. Each and every single song was something special. Lyricially or musically they were all great. I wont even bother to go into details of these songs. They were and are pure gems. He composed just one song for 'Saaya' but "O Saathiya" was the best thing to happen to the movie. This was foolowed by 'Rog'. The music according to me was a little deviation from the usual Kreem music and was pretty good. "Maine Dil Se kaha" and "Khoobsurat Hai woh itna" are my favourites.

2005 saw a poor film 'Kasak'. Frankly by now expectations are MM Kreem are so high for me that i found this just about OK. 'Saansein Madham Hain' is only worth mentioning sng though after a few hearings I started to like Jagjit Singh's version of "Jaana Hai Jaana Hai". Still not much can be said about the music.

After giving music for Bhatt's movies and an odd Kasak, his commercial big break came with Shahrukh Khan starrer 'Paheli'. "Dheere Jalna" is an awesome song brilliantly sung by Sonu Nigam. Other songs gelled with the Rajasthani theme of the movie and he incorporated it very well for the film. "Laaga re Jal Laaga" is my another favourite.

Film-makers.. its high time that you start recognizing the real talent and give the audience and listeners a chance to listen to some real music rather than some odd pop beats here n there with remix versions. MM Kreem deserves much much more than what Bollywood has offered him till now.

My top 10 Favourites of MM Kreem in no particular order:
1. Chup Tum Raho (Is Raat Ki Subah Nahin)
2. Pehli Nazar Mein (Pehli Nazar Mein)
3. Hum Yahan Tum Yahan (Zakhm)
4. Raat Saari (Zakhm)
5. Kabhi Shaam Dhale (Sur)
6. Aa BHi Ja (Sur)
7. Awaarapan Banjarapan (Jism) and all others
8. O Saathiya (Saaya)
9. Dheere Jalna (Paheli)
10. Maine Dil Se Kaha (Rog)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zakm is one my all time fav album. I guess the only album jiske saare gaane mein sun sakti hu back to back after phir teri kahani yaad aayi. His music is moving and what make the music more delightful are the lyrics and the underlined meaning they hold. Add a good voice and wallah !!!!

Rohini

Anonymous said...

i can't agree with you anymore. all the songs of jism are truly masterpiece.